Exam results 2020 - framework and process
As a result of school closure's, this year’s summer exam series, including A levels, GCSEs and other qualifications, and all primary assessments, have been cancelled.
Details of the Government's approach can be found here or via the individual links listed below:
Questions and answers
- Did exams need to be cancelled?
- What will happen to those who have already done some non-exam assessment?
- How will you address the fact that students from disadvantaged backgrounds are more likely to have their grades under-predicted?
- Will all students get their predicted grade?
- Will schools be using mock exam results as a barometer for results – and is this fair on students as they did not know at the time these would be used as their final mark?
- Will the past performance of the school be taken into account when devising the calculated grade?
- Is this an entirely new system?
- How will schools/colleges cope with the burden of putting on an atypical exam season?
- Will universities/colleges/sixth forms accept these calculated grades?
- What if I am unhappy with my grade?
- Will there be an opportunity to take exams this year if a student is unhappy with their grade?
- What about private candidates or home educated students?
- Can private centres run GCSEs/A levels if they chose to do so?
- Does this mean every exam in every module in every subject being cancelled, or will a limited number go ahead at GCSE and/or A level?
- What about vocational and technical qualifications?
- Will parents be required to educate their children while they are off school?
- What if have started my coursework but it is not finished?
- What will young people with university offers do?
- Do universities need to start making unconditional offers / should I accept an unconditional offer now that exams are cancelled?
- If I already have an unconditional offer, does that remain?
- If I take the exam option, will I still be able to go to university this year?
- Are iGCSEs and the International Baccalaureate also cancelled?
- How will colleges, sixth-forms, universities cope with the fact that these students will have missed out on some of their education?
- Might the exams be reinstated if the coronavirus (COVID-19) is not as bad as expected?
Last updated 28th March